Our curriculum provides opportunities which can be used for language learning. Examples include daily greetings, answering the register, cultural development alongside specific Spanish or French blocks. We understand the benefits of starting languages early with the introduction of literacy in the new language to support knowledge of the English language, especially vocabulary. Learning languages also enhances listening and memory skills, problem-solving skills and increased ability to multi-task.
We teach the following skills speaking, listening and writing skills:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language