PE is an essential component of our school curriculum and students are encouraged to maintain a healthy balance between their education and exercise. It also helps to provide the balance between their physical and mental health/well-being.
Our curriculum aims to develop our pupils’ physical competence and knowledge of movement and safety, and their ability to use these to perform in a wide range of activities. Indeed, we want to shape our future students into healthy active people.
It is essential to the development of motor skills, hand-eye co-ordination and good body movement to encourage and develop healthy body posture. Other benefits include:
- Improved physical fitness
- Regular, healthy physical activity
- Student responsibility for health and fitness
Pupils are taught the following skills:
- to move freely in a range of ways such as skipping, hopping, walking
- climb equipment using alternate feet
- catching, throwing and kicking
- jumping with control and co-ordination
- basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination
- participation in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- performing dances using simple movement patterns.
- running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- to play competitive games
- to develop flexibility, strength, technique and control
- to perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- to compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Through this skill development, our PE provision develops our pupils’ competence and confidence to take part in a range of physical activities that become a central part of their lives, both in an out of school. Our high-quality PE curriculum enables all pupils to enjoy and succeed in many kinds of physical activities. We cover a vast range of activities to ensure all pupils have the opportunity to try new activities. In PE we teach essential body management. We develop teamwork, sportsmanship and cooperation. We promote physical fitness in a fun and engaging way through the activities we offer.
Football, Cross-country, Hockey, Swimming (Y4), Netball, Basketball, Gymnastics, Dance, Trampolining, Dance, Tag Rugby, Hockey, Orienteering, Tennis, Athletics, Kwik cricket, Rounders and the Daily Mile.
We also have well-developed PE provision beyond the curriculum. We offer:
- a vast range of extra-curricular opportunities including competitive situations, inter and intra competitions and work to feed into external clubs
- work closely with our Occupational Therapist to develop provision such as a sensory circuits programme
- take part in external initiatives such as ‘Beat the Street’ to encourage being active out of school
- active break and lunchtimes where our own play leaders deliver activities alongside our staff
- partnerships with sporting organisations such as Barnsley Football Club, Barnsley School Boys and District Club, Yorkshire Sport, Mini Kicks, Love Life Football, Team Activ and we do the daily mile.